Maintaining a comfortable temperature in your home without significantly increasing what you pay for heating and cooling is a delicate balancing act. But many homeowners find that by installing and using a programmable thermostat they’re able to heat and cool more efficiently, with none of the hassles.
What is a Programmable Thermostat?
A programmable thermostat lets you pre-program a heating or cooling schedule based on the day and time. This can reduce your energy costs by avoiding heating or cooling your home when no one is there. Most programmable thermostats allow you to create a repeating 7-day schedule. The most basic models repeat the same program every day while the more advanced models give you the ability to create an individual schedule for each day of the week.
How a Programmable Thermostat Can Save You Money
While a programmable thermostat can save you money, it won’t do you any good if you don’t use it the right way. Surprisingly, the majority of people who install one in their home never learn how to program it correctly. This means they never see any energy saving. If you purchase a programmable thermostat, get the most out of it by learning all its features. Don’t worry, most modern programmable thermostats are simple to operate.
After you know how your thermostat works, try using some of these money-saving tips:
- Reduce your heat at least 10 degrees at night. Not only will you save up to a tenth of your heating costs, but you will also have a deeper and more restful sleep. Remember to set the thermostat to increase the temperature 20 minutes before you generally wake up.
- Lower your heat to 65 degrees and turn off the air conditioning when you’re at work and your children are at school.
- Set the thermostat to lower your heater or to turn off your A/C 20 minutes before you leave your home and to bring it back to your preferred temperature around 20 minutes before you return home.
- If you have an advanced programmable thermostat, don’t forget to make adjustments for Saturday and Sunday when your schedule changes.
- Be sure to reprogram your thermostat as the weather changes throughout the year.
Do you want to learn more about which programmable thermostat is right for your home or how easy and affordable it is to install? Contact the specialists at Buckeye Heating & Cooling. Their experts can help you determine the best programmable thermostat for your needs and get you up and running in no time. Call 614-888-HEAT to schedule a consultation.