It may not feel like it now, but winter is sneaking up on us. It won’t be long before you’ll be taking out that extra blanket you laundered and put away last spring. And when that’s not enough you’ll be turning on your furnace. Ideally, it will fire right up. But what if it’s not up to the job awaiting it when the cold winds start to blow? It may have worked just fine when you shut it down last April, but a furnace is a complex system with many parts. Smooth operation depends on all components working in sync. Read on to learn about the importance of having your furnace inspected.
When to Have Your Furnace Inspected
Just like your car needs preventative maintenance to keep it running, your furnace needs an inspection to verify that the components will be ready to tackle the cold winter weather. Having your furnace inspected once a year is ideal to make sure everything is in working order.
What You Can Expect from a Typical Furnace Inspection
- Vents, both those internal to the furnace and those at the point of external termination. You’d be surprised how much hair (both pet and human), dust, and other particulates can accumulate in a year. We’ll also be looking for leakage.
- Fresh air intake grills and removal of any blockages. After all the furnace runs on the premise, cool air in, warm air out.
- We’ll open or remove the combustion chamber door and make sure the burners ignite properly. While we’re in there, we’ll also clean the flame sensor.
- Measurement of combustion gases.
- Inspection of the heat exchanger for rust and corrosion.
- We’ll make sure there are no links or blocks in the drainage system, including the internal hoses. While we’re at it, we’ll clean out the condensation drain and trap, and put fresh water in the trap.
- Checking all the wiring for rust or corrosion.
Not Having Your Furnace Inspected Can Void Your Warranty
As you can see, a yearly inspection can reveal a lot about the health of your furnace. For this reason, many manufacturers recommend homeowners get their furnaces serviced at least once a year. Take the time to read your warranty closely. You may find that damage to your furnace stemming from improper maintenance can void it.
At Buckeye Heating & Cooling, we’re here for all your HVAC needs. Give us a call today for specials on your fall furnace inspection.