Spring is officially here! Warmer weather and longer days tend to encourage friends and families to spend more time outside enjoying everything spring can offer. But for those who suffer from allergies, spring signals the return of allergens and pollen. Even if you suffer from severe allergies, you can discover how to love spring again after you learn these five tips to surviving springtime allergens.
Tips to Surviving Spring With Allergies
1. Spend more time outside in the early morning or during the evening. Pollen counts are typically higher during the middle of the day, so try to stay indoors during that time. Schedule any yard work you need to do during the early morning; this is when the grass and flowers are still wet, which help to keep the spread of pollen to a minimum. Make sure to wear oversized sunglasses and hats to keep pollen out of your eyes and hair.
2. Keep your home extra clean in the spring. Allergens can enter your home on clothing, shoes and even your skin and hair. Remember to take off your shoes as soon as you walk inside and try to remove clothing you wore outside before entering your bedroom. Wash your clothes and bedding in water about 140 degrees to eliminate pollen. Don’t forget to shower and wash your hair before going to bed.
3. See your doctor. Even if a doctor told you a long time ago that there is nothing you can take to relieve your symptoms, it is still worth visiting an allergy specialist. There are new allergen immunotherapy options available today. Even over-the-counter medications have improved. There may be a new medication which will relieve all of your symptoms.
4. Invest in a quality HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter to clean the air in your bedroom. A HEPA filter can remove up to 99.97 percent of the impurities in your home’s air and can help you sleep better as a result. Consider adding an HEPA filter to your vacuum cleaner to capture any allergens from your carpet and other soft furnishings. Remember to keep your window closed and turn on your A/C while sleeping.
5. Keep your immune system strong by eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and by getting plenty of rest. Studies show certain foods, like kiwi, fish oil and chicken, can help lower the severity of allergies.
Are you still experiencing problems with allergies inside your home? Now is the time to call the indoor air specialists at Buckeye Heating & Cooling. We are a family-owned and operated company which has a strong commitment to providing members of the local community with high-quality HVAC installation and servicing. Call 614-888-4328 to speak with a knowledgeable customer service representatives today, or schedule an appointment online.